This popcorn chicken recipe is so simple, fresh and tasty and moments away.
x4 – chicken breasts
100g – plain flour
1 tsp – paprika
x4 – eggs
x1 – bag of salted popcorn (500g bag, homemade is even better)
100g – panko breadcrumbs
x8 – mini-wraps (a packet usually contains 8)
1/2 – cucumber
x4 – tomatoes
x1 – small red onion
Small bunch of coriander
- For the popcorn, in a food processor, blitz the popcorn until it is roughly the size of rice krispies. Mix the flour, paprika and pepper together in a bowl. Mix the blitzed popcorn and panko breadcrumbs together in a bowl.
- To prepare the Chicken. Cut into thin strips and reserve in a bowl. Break the eggs into another bowl and whisk.
- For this stage, it’s nice to get as many hands together to help. Firstly, dust the chicken in the seasoned flour, then dip into the egg and shake off the excess then into the popcorn mixture. Shake and coat well and place onto a tray until all the chicken is coated. Refrigerate until required.
For the salsa:
- For the cucumber, if you so wish peel and remove the centre, it’s not a big deal if you don’t want to. Chop into manageable, bite size pieces and do the same with the tomatoes.
- Chop the red onion and roughly chop the coriander. Mix everything together. The peppery red onion will season, the coriander will freshen, enough seasoning in the popcorn and seasoned flour.
- Set the deep fat fryer to 170 degrees celsius.
- In small batches, fry the chicken for roughly 2-3 mins, until golden brown and crispy and rest on kitchen paper.
- For the wraps, in a large pan re-heat the wraps or warm briefly in the microwave.
I find its best to lay everything in the middle of the table for a family service. If needs be adjust with your own condiments, though the salsa for me is enough to tantalise.
I’d love to see what you create! Upload a picture to Instagram and tag me at @TheNiseachChef or use the hashtag #TheNiseachChef